Monday 23 March 2015

Hobby Kennedy

Well, I made good on my threat recently to try archery.  On Saturday morning last, I took myself off to London Bridge and spent 1.5 hours learning this noble art.

There's something very pleasing about firing a bow and arrow; it feels very organic and 'right'.  It feels as natural as running.  You also feel rather elegant doing it - well, I did at any rate.  I'll definitely be going back for more.

The action took place in a sports hall just south of the river, in Bermondsey.  There were about two dozen of in total learning the ways of the quiver.  There was a stag group.  They weren't the usual frightening semi-pissed cohort one might expect though.  They were a really nice bunch, their only concession to stag tradition being to insist the groom-to-be wear a Robin Hood hat for the duration.  Everyone was really friendly.  I've noticed this about people who participate in martial arts.  They're as nice a stratum of society as you're likely to meet.  I think the violence inherent in the pastime removes the requirement for passive-aggressive posturing in everyday social intercourse.  Either that of the fact that it costs £20 an hour plus to do keeps the riff-raff out.  It could have been that actually.

Twang.

No comments:

Post a Comment