Thursday 19 March 2015

Cloak and dagger nuptials

Two friends of mine got married yesterday.  To one another.  Missus O and I were the only guests, which meant also that we acted as the official witnesses.  I've never understood the point of the witnesses.  They don't need to know the bride and groom, just vouchsafe that these two people, who purport to have legal use of the names they've set down on the paperwork, are in the same room as themselves and the registrar.  A video camera could do this.  Has does that help the State?  

According the bumf that I was given to read, the witnesses must be 18 years of age and 'credible'.  I ticked 'yes' to both boxes for this.  Am I credible?  I think I am, but that proves nothing.  If I am, I am, and if I'm not, I'm not.  Unless, that is, credibility stems entirely from the subject, like happiness.  No sane Englishman would challenge one's assertion of happiness.  Credibility, it seems, falls into the same category.  So what store can the authorities set by it in this context?  One man's credible witness is another's credulous, easily-led twat.

All that notwithstanding, I did my duty, and very jolly it was too.  Two good friends safely shepherded over the broom by yours truly.  Makes one proud.


No comments:

Post a Comment