Wednesday 31 December 2014

Let the train engender strain

It's the final day of 2014.  Tonight the missus and I head to Cornwall.  We're taking the train this year.  Usually we drive, but as we're both at work today anyways, we thought South West Trains (peace be upon it) could carry us yon.  It's always a stressful endeavour, train travel.  With all due deference to Network Rail, it goes to cock more often than it doesn't.  I can't think of the last time I took a train journey in this country when all the constituent elements worked according to a preordained plan.  I must have been an infant of sorts.  Going somewhere with my parents, I dare say.  Probably in the way to my christening.

As matters stand, the service appears to be running smoothly.  But that worries me.  It could be a trick of the fates.  To offset this concern I've raided my local Waitrose and procured wine and nibbles to Caligulian excess.  So if the shit does hit the fan in any way, at least we'll be fed and watered.  For 'watered' read 'drunk'.

Happy New Year.  Or if you're an American, happy NEW year.

No comments:

Post a Comment