Wednesday 15 July 2015

Ride On Time

Another Tuesday, another '10'.  Last night was the first I'd ridden in a fortnight, what with holidays an' sheet.  I didn't know what to expect.  Also the weather was bobbins for the first time this racing season.  I hate riding in the wet.  I don't mind the discomfort or the cold; it's the fear of crashing that I could live without.

 As it happens, I needn't have worried on either score.  I don't know what they surface road race tracks with these days, but it's amazing stuff - fast and yet grippy.  In days of yore, we raced on concrete, and cattle-class concrete at that.  It was as smooth and attractive as cellulite.  In the rain, it was like trying to ride on a bouncy castle made of engine oil.  I still used to race though.  I was young then and as thick as shite.  I have more respect for my neck these days.  If it looks dodgy out, I'll give it a miss.

And, rather delightfully, in spite of my non-conformist preparations, I rode pretty well and posted a season's best.  Hurrah!   It may be my last ride for a while though.  Next week is a "two-up"; that's a 10 mile time-trial but for pairs of riders.  The trouble is I don't have any mates.  I'm too cool and aloof.

I'll be off then.

No comments:

Post a Comment