Thursday 23 July 2015

Beloved

The missus and I went to see 'Amy' last night, the biopic of Amy Winehouse's short, glorious and ultimately tragic life.  It was superb - extremely moving.  I had to steel myself before committing to see it; I find it easy to get upset when I think back to her death.  I can't really listen to her music any more, such is the emotion it stirs up in me.

There was such a grievous inevitability about her fate.  But when it came, it was still a shock.  I remember it well.  I was walking through Gospel Oak estate on the Saturday afternoon she died.  I overheard two young teenage boys on bikes, typical London latchkey kids, discussing her.  I didn't get the detail then, but the incongruity of these two urchins talking about Amy worried me.  I was travelling the a friend's house for dinner.  When I arrived, I got him to check the news.  She was gone.

The nicest part of the film was that it was made up almost entirely of camcorder footage taken by Amy or one of her close coterie of friends.  For the first time, we saw the real young woman, not the shambling tabloid construct that the mainstream media presented at the time.  I am becoming increasingly disillusioned with the media and its idiot "news" agenda.  Fuck them and fuck the dunces that lap up their bile like it's the word of god.

No comments:

Post a Comment