Wednesday 18 February 2015

Heaven Lent

Today is Ash Wednesday.  I'm not a traditionally religious, in that I don't believe there is a god.  I do, however, observe Lent by giving up something enjoyable.  This year I shall be abstaining from strong drink during the week.  I count Friday evening as the weekend, incidentally.  This is a hangover from growing up in London in the 1980s.  Back then, commercial television was shared by two companies.  One, Thames, did Monday to Friday.  The other, LWT, took over at 5.15 on a Friday evening.  LWT's was real glitter ball ooh-ahh viewing of the most low-brow and compelling kind.  I got into the habit as an urchin of associating their logo with the weekend.  Their weekend began at 5.15 on a Friday evening, and so does mine.

Actually, scratch that.  It's 6pm, and I'm gasping for bottle of jollop.

No comments:

Post a Comment