Tuesday 17 February 2015

Bed Pan Cakes

It's Shrove Tuesday here in the holy land (England I mean), so it's pancakes for tea therefore.  I don't normally bother with them, to be honest, but something's prompted me to give them a whirl this year.  I must be yearning for spring and its attendant warmth and light.  Yes, it's been a long cold lonely winter, to quote Audley Harrison.

As we're having them for supper, I've opted for savoury ones, yes, I know, very French.  I couldn't face brown sugar and lemon for me tea.  I'm not eleven, ferrchrissakes.  I picked-up a recipe on the BBC website that was trying rather too hard - it's vegan.  Meat-free would have done me, but there you go.  The thing with p-cakes is what to have with them?  If you ate them on their own, you'd need to neck at least nine, which would be unseemly.  These ones are clad with mushrooms and cherry tomatoes, so a nice dressed salad might be in order.  And some sourdough bread.  That would surely constitute an ample meal for the jobbing 6-foot-tall man-about-town?

I also bought the wife a splendid-looking bottle of French wine for Valentine's Day, which we haven't yet necked, so that's going for a burton, I tell you.  I feel reborn today; it's the weather.  It's simply splendid out.  Wine, pancakes and original British drama on DVD.  What could be finer?

No comments:

Post a Comment