Friday 10 October 2014

Chapeaux, old chappo.

I happened across a fascinating article on the BBC web site earlier today.  It concerns the life of a chap called Patrick Leigh Fermor.  A book of his, frankly outstanding, wartime adventures in north Africa has just been published.

His escapades in Nazi-occupied Egypt would have been enough for most mortals to dine out on for at least a thousand earth years.  But with PLF, it appears to be just the tip of the iceberg.  As an apparently unemployable 18-year-old, for example, he decided to walk from the Hook of Holland to Constantinople.  He travelled light, bringing only "several letters of introduction, the Oxford Book of English Verse and a volume of Horace's Odes".

I adore people like this, old-school genteel English nutters.  He sounds like a man of enormous native intelligence and self-effacing good humour.  He also had a reputation for being worldly and sophisticated, but utterly without pretension.  On the strength of this article alone, I rushed down to the bookshop and bought his account of his extraordinary walk, A Time Of Gifts.  I can't wait to get started on it.

Mrs O and I have a longish train journey to get through tomorrow and I cannot countenance train travel without a diverting tome to ease the path.  Who knows where this new book lead me?  If sufficiently inspired, I too might walk somewhere.  Kazakhstan perhaps.  How far is that?  Hmm...maybe I'll start with Belgium.

No comments:

Post a Comment