Wednesday 27 May 2015

The race question

I took part in my second 10 of the cycling time trial season last night.  It was no quicker than the first one sadly.  But I did manage to pace myself better this time, so I was able to get to the finish in something approaching a decorous state.  Not like last time, when I looked like I'd be through a mangle.  I also competed on my fixed-wheel bike, which was woefully undergeared.  I'm hoping for better next week.

I've been pondering of late the bullshit that issues from people's mouths.  And in particular, the dissonance between what people say and how they behave.  Parents are especially guilty when it comes to this.  They constantly shite on about how important it is for the progeny to be well-balanced and happy, but then will quite happily set fire to poor wretch's Power Rangers because he or she hasn't mastered the oboe to their satisfaction.

Friends of mine who have kids, and who, like me, were masters of their own ships during childhood, also bleat about lack of freedom kids get these days.  I too find this aspect of modern childhood really dispiriting.  Children are never without adult scrutiny these days.  It's always dressed-up as providing security, but it's oversight and control, make no mistake.  So when one of my friends bemoans this, I ask if their kids are allowed out unchaperoned.  They never are of course, but that is due to their being especially attractive to perverts or something, so it's not the same.  People need to have blander children it seems.

Right, off training after work.  What larks, Pip.


No comments:

Post a Comment