Thursday 29 January 2015

We're off to see the wizard...

Today's my last in the office for a short bit.  I'm flying out to Ireland tomorrow morning first thing to see my sister.  She lives in the wilds of Co.Donegal.  The weather is supposed to be shithouse at the moment there too, which is a shame because I'm the designated driver for the weekend.  And when it's wild in rural Donegal, it's proper mayhem, like the bit in Alien when they land on the hostile planet and find the alien eggs in the guts of an abandoned space ship.

I haven't driven for a while either; we flogged our car a couple of years ago (has it's been that long?) as we simply weren't using it.  Driving's one of those skill sets, however, that never seems to desert me.  It's like riding a motorbike.  I had a bike when I was a student.  I haven't ridden one for 20+ years, but if someone pointed a blunderbuss at my head and ordered me to pop a wheelie on one, I could.  They say you know when you've mastered a motor skill if you can imagine it and feel the moments.  That's me and motorbikes.  I'm a motorbike prodigy basically - like Eddie Kidd and the Fonz.

So, it's an early one tomorrow morning.  We fly at 7am.  Tonight I'm crashing at my other sister's house; she lives close to the airport, which is just as well because I'm an absolute shambles in the morning - like a six foot tall, bespectacled new born.  It's as well I don't have to drive to the airport at 5am, otherwise we wouldn't make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment