Wednesday 17 September 2014

Infirmity - it happens to the best of us

I've been laid low with another cold.  I attribute this to flying.  I always get off planes feeling like shite.  As has been well-documented by professional moaners in the columns of weekend broadsheets, the air one breathes on an aircraft is terrible: stale, full of harmful microbes and far too warm.  A bit like Naples in fact.

So the upshot is I retired to the nuptial bed last night, dog-tired as per, but was unable to sleep as breathing through my mouth was like trying to suck a nettle up a bendy straw.  I was catatonic this morning of course.  I did think about phoning in sick, but I have a few meagre duties to perform on Wednesday mornings that are mission-critical and that I can't really trust anyone else to do.  It would be a massive dereliction of professional duty on my part, therefore, not to have pitched-up and done the needful.  A bit like the first officer of a 747 suggesting one of the stewardesses land in Bangkok because he's got a verruca.

I've also just discovered that my presence will be required tomorrow too.  Both my departmental colleagues are at a meeting in Ireland.

Begorrah.

No comments:

Post a Comment