Monday 15 September 2014

Fickle Gerkin

Mrs O and I were in central London yesterday for the end of the Tour of Britain bike race.  When I started attending these bashes, about 15 years ago, it was club cyclists only who showed-up.  Then as cycling's profile increase, so did the audience numbers.  The last two or three years have been absolutely mobbed.  Yesterday, however, it was eerily quiet again.

This was a bit of a shock, as the weather was pretty good and there were plenty of star riders present.  I suppose it must be a result of having The Tour in England during the summer.  Going to see The Tour is like going to see Led Zeppelin in the 70s -  everything is bigger, better and louder than anything else you've seen in your life.  All other bike races look like Brother Beyond in comparison.  I imagine people took one look at the riders in British version, and thought "Sod it - I'll go to Ikea instead.  I need a new splashback anyway."

I can sort of understand and empathise with this attitude.  I have a similar distant relationship with football.  I dislike watching football.  At best it's boring and at worst it's torture.  And yet every second Saturday, I delude myself into thinking I seriously intend going along to my local team if they're at home.  Then about 2 o'clock I sober-up decide to waterproof the seams on my tent instead.  And, if I'm honest, it's cheaper and more fun than watching Orient.

You can't choose your family...or your team.

No comments:

Post a Comment