Friday 20 June 2014

HR-se

I've got an appraisal at work next week.  Nothing gets me closer to telling them to stuff their job where-the-sun-don't than the annual appraisal.  It's not that I fear falling-short; I can, and sometimes do, do my job standing on my head.  It's just that the whole HR cavalcade of corporate fanny really gets in amongst me.

I don't know why it should anger me so much; it just does.  I suppose it's the fact that its avowed intention is to make you feel better about things whilst it's doing the exact opposite.  It's spirit-sapping stuff.  For example, they sent us a document to fill out prior to our appraisal meetings.  Its name?  Competency Framework.  What does that even mean?  As Alexei Sayle once pointed out: unless you teach woodwork, using the word "workshop" marks you out as a twat.  Ditto "framework".

Why can't HR confine itself to payroll and discipline?  That's the real point of all the psycho-twaddle, personnel doesn't have enough to do, and needs to salve its conscience.  The robust, fully-embracing, methodology-implementing, benefits-realising bastards.

No comments:

Post a Comment