Monday 23 June 2014

Appraising Grace

Oh woe - appraisal season is upon us.  Mine is tomorrow (Tuesday) and I simply don't have sufficient psychic energy on a Monday to go through the heartbreaking paperwork.  I'm going to have to wing it.

I used to "wing" things a lot as a young adult: school, college, work, bands, girlfriends - you name it, I've wung them all.  Most fly-by-night wing weasels tend toward the Byronic, i.e. they don't give a shite for authority or the consequences of their actions, and refuse, therefore, to prepare or do as they're told.  I wish I could claim the same, but I'm not like that.  I'm actually quite risk-averse.  The only reason I end up improvising wildly in front of strangers, like an unimpressive white John Coltrane, is because my time-management is shambolic.  Also, I know from emetically tense experience that I'm good at it.  

All the same, I'd don't care for the practice.  The hours leading into a performance are awful.  American comedian Steven Wright once described unease as akin to that feeling you get when you overbalance while leaning backwards on a chair, and then catch yourself before falling and overcompensate again in the opposite plane.  He claimed to feel like this all the time.  Well, it's also how I feel before an outlandish wing.  Not pleasant.

Also, even if I were inclined to do the needful, there's football on constantly in the office (future me, please note The World Cup's on - Brazil), so I simply cannot concentrate.  This World Cup is just superb: wonderful, open games, hatfuls of goals and giant-killing par excellence.  

If these aren't auguries from the gods telling me to chuck my bureaucratic hand in and chance to luck, then what are they?  Eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment