Wednesday 4 June 2014

Flogging and National Service - a lesson from history

I had the saddle of my commuting bicycle stolen yesterday.  This is a first for me.  I usually escape petty bicycle theft because I carefully choose equipment that, while attractive to the aficionado, would not appeal to the casual slag and/or rotter.  It seems I was wrong about that.

The saddle was a honey-coloured Brooks B17.  That's a leather, rather old-skool lookin' beast, for those of you not au fait with bike couture.  It cost me £70, so the material loss stung a little, but worse still is the fact that leather saddles take a lot of painful miles to break in.  It takes my arse about 1,500 miles to (literally) make a dent in a new Brooks.  Until such time, it's like sitting on a house brick.  This one had 2,000 miles on the clock, so it was perfect: broken in but not yet broken down.

What surprised me most about the episode was why people (if I might use that term in this case) would start stealing Brooks saddles.  As I say, it's not cutting edge technology.  I blame the popularity of cycling, which means that ruffians now know the price of most bit and pieces.  A quick £70 saddle is now an easy score.  But it has no resale value.  People who buy expensive, leather saddles do not buy knock-off gear.  It would be like trying to fence dodgy Archers omnibus cds in a pub; your target audience doesn't exist.  And a broken in Brooks is of little use to a cyclist, unless his backside is a clone of my own.  So, no-one wins.

Another bummer (so-to-speak) about its disappearance was the fact that I had then to ride home (7 miles) sans siege.  I should point out at this point that I ride a fixed-wheel bike; this means I am unable to coast.  If the bike moves, so do the pedals.  I had to "honk", therefore, (standing-up on the pedals) all the way home, with the raucous laughter of chirpy cockneys ringing in my ears all the way.  And take it from me: riding a fixed like this is like treading grapes in a room with a four foot high ceiling.  Not fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment