Thursday 12 June 2014

How's the revision going? What revision? Is there an exam?

I've been asked to review a book for work; I say "been asked", but if you substitute the word "volunteered", you're closer to the truth, goddammit.  I thought it would be fun.  The book, Chris Froome's autobiography, is on a subject I love and am knowledgeable about.  And, even if I say so myself, I'm usually pretty good at distilling books and films down to their scanties.  I also read voraciously.  So what's the problem?

I'll tell you.  I feel under pressure.  If I didn't have a deadline, I've have read this tome in three or four days.  As it is, I've got a week.  And yet all I can do is cast furtive glances at it on my desk, and worry because the bookmark is too near the front cover for comfort.  Also, unless I forget how to read English overnight or pull a hamstring in my eyes, it's going to get read in due course.   I just need to relax.  I'm going to end up buying a CD of whale song because I've got to write 300 non-committal words by Tuesday week.

When the going gets tough.




No comments:

Post a Comment