Wednesday 26 August 2015

Quo Vadis?

As part of my ongoing quest for self-knowledge and professional satisfaction, I've decided to monitor all my extra-curricular activity for a week or so.  The rationale behind this move is that an analysis of those activities should then be my guide as to what I do with the rest of my life.  A sort of your-actions-speak-louder-than-your-words thang.  A stunt like this was pulled by psychologists at Harvard to help baffled undergraduates decide on their majors.  It's very common apparently for there to be quite a degree of what's known as cognitive dissonance between what one says one wants and what one's actions say one wants.

That's what I'm hoping anyway.  I hope my diary will make it clear to me in stark terms what it is I should be doing.  The Reverend Sydney Smith summarised the situation neatly: 

"Whatever you are by nature, keep to it; never desert your line of talent.  Be what nature intended you for, and you will succeed."

So, let's begin.  Last night (Tuesday 25th August 2015) I rode home, cooked supper (chillied fish), did the washing up, went out for a couple of drinks, watched the tour of Spain coverage, washed-up again, posted some comments on Facebook, did some exercise (press-ups).

Not sure what this suggests...personal trainer/chef?  Early days I suppose.

I'll get back to you.


No comments:

Post a Comment