Wednesday 10 June 2015

The need for speed

I need to go quicker.  It's a month into the time-trial season, and I'm not tearing up any shrubs.  I'm still a full minute slower than I was this time last year.  This despite the fact that I'm on a better and, you'd have to hope, faster machine.  Perhaps I'm over thinking it?  Perhaps I'm not?  Perhaps both?

Last night's attempt at cycling immortality was actually faster than the previous week's, but not by much.  Worse still was the fact that I felt like I was flying, and yet I still could not break the mythical 28 minute barrier.  I used to post 27 minute times at a canter and think very little of it.  What's happened in 12 months?  I'm probably lighter now than I was then.  Maybe I'm being too conservative.  Maybe I just need to give it the beans, as they say.  That said, I was shattered by the time I sprinted across the line last night - absolutely spent.  I don't believe I could have gone harder in the final 2 miles had someone pointed a blunderbuss at me.  I need, I think, to get angry, like Mr T.  I might black up next week, to spur myself on.  On second thoughts...

So, off training tonight.  I really should apply some science to my training, but it's turgid stuff, to be honest.  I'm not sure I could put myself through it.  What I do need to do is improve my VO2 max, which is about as much fun as it sounds, by the way.

Ho, hum...


No comments:

Post a Comment