Thursday 11 June 2015

Horses for courses

I was reading an article in Cycling Weekly earlier, my preferred organ of record on these matters,  about a club cyclist from Rotherham who's just broken the world record for distance cycled in a week.  He covered 1758 miles, this chap.  In a week.  Don't bother; I'm waay ahead of you - that's 252 miles a day.  When asked if he'd experienced any hiccups (sic) during the week, he gave up the following gold-plated quote:

"I had a bad day on Tuesday. I fainted after a massage."

As well one might.  He's not a pro, by-the-way; he does this for a hobby.  He was also riding circuits, not place to place.  So he didn't even have  the satisfaction of reaching a new town each day.  What was he thinking about as he pounded around for hour after hour?  Not much, I'll warrant.

I torn between admiration for the endeavour and horror at its utter futility.  Like darts.

A couple of years ago, I had a bit of a dalliance with distance cycling.  I was getting bored of race training, and I thought I'd have a crack at the Dunwich Dynamo, a 120-mile overnight ride from London to Dunwich in Suffolk.  By way of prep., one Saturday in high summer, I rode from my home in London to Maldon in Essex and back, a distance of 90-something miles.  I immediately vowed never to do another long ride unless there was a valid reason for it - touring, for example, or fleeing toxic fallout.  

These days I like my bike rides like my women: short and sadistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment