Friday 18 July 2014

The air is rich with ions. The gods must be displeased.

It is super hot in London today - proper oh-Jesus-I'm-melting hot.  It's tough for the English to cope in weather like this as they like to keep a lid on their emotions by-and-large, but that's impossible.  The simplest physical task in this heat requires herculean will-power.  By the time I cycled home last night, I was like a rag doll.  Unfortunately, Mrs O was out carousing with colleagues, so I had cook the tea when all I wanted to do was lie down and have a good tremble.  Thanks to my massive reserves of stoicism and heart I did manage to throw together a Spanish omelette before the tears came.

And I speak as one of the fitter members of the populace.  If I'm struggling, I shudder to think how the flabby rotters are getting on.  Needless to say, it will be carnage in the pubs of the capital tonight.  People will be pouring rubbing alcohol in their ears.  It doesn't help that the weather's supposed to break tomorrow, so the window of crapulent opportunity is small.  He who hesitates is lost.

The one upside to the humidity and the heat was that there was an almighty and spectacular electrical storm in the small hours.  The noise was unimaginable.  Even London falls silent for a few hours in the dead of night, so the peals of thunder rang out like you would not believe.  I thought in my dozing alpha wave state that the roof was about to fly off.

Back to normal tomorrow - wet and miserable.  Ho hum.

No comments:

Post a Comment