Wednesday 28 May 2014

I'd give my right arm for a Bruce Rioch

Well, World Cup fever is building up aplenty, n'est-ce-pas?  No, perhaps you're right.  It's so very autumnal around these parts currently that staging a World Cup in a fortnight's time seems implausible and a touch distasteful.  A bit like washing your hair in the toilet.

I was reading some old guff on the BBC web site earlier about men in their 30s and 40s collecting Panini stickers during football tournaments.  It's all the rage.  I did try this once a few years ago, but it was rubbish.  When I was a boy, I thought if I had all the money in the world to spend on stickers, I'd find contentment.  I know that now to be untrue.  I did throw money at the sticker problem as a grown up, but just felt more and more frustrated.  In the end I gave up.

I shouldn't have been surprised by this; I've read enough philosophy over the years to wallpaper an oil rig.  And it all reaches the same conclusion: material things make you unhappy.  And yet I still harboured dreams of buying my way to happiness.

Those wrong-headed notions were shattered by Panini (thanks, fellas).  I no longer buy lottery tickets, thanks to them.  What's the point?  I'd just be a miserable millionaire.  "Why can't I afford a platinum submersible?"

What price Bob Latchford?

No comments:

Post a Comment