Thursday 4 June 2009

Back to the Grind

I've been rather slack of late. Sorry about that, but I do have heavyweight mitigating circs. I've been on holiday, and I have a new job.

The holiday was lovely, thank you for asking - a week in genuinely sunny Cornwall followed by a few days camping it up in north Norfolk. The job, however, is proving to be more of a challenge.

I suffer from a condition known as impostor syndrome. I've had periodic bouts of this my whole life, but it's particularly acute when changing jobs. I've been at the new post for four days now, and I think it safe to say that I don't know what the phuck I'm doing. Worse still - I've been given an underling to tutor. What I'm supposed to say to him is anyone's guess. Still onwards and upwards. What's the worst that could happen? Public humiliation swiftly followed by the right royal sack. It's not like I'm in Guantanamo Bay or anything. I rock myself to sleep each night repeating those words like a sacred mantra. I honestly thought adult life would be a walk in the park compared with childhood. It appears I misjudged the situation hugely. Still, we'll always have Paris.

No comments:

Post a Comment