Wednesday 13 May 2009

Fatigued I

Series two of the "The Wire" has begun again in earnest, which means I'm getting by on about six-hundred seconds sleep per night. It starts at 11.20pm. Yes, we've got a video (do people still can them that these days?), but it's compelling stuff. I always reason I'll be able to watch the first two minutes, and then simply yawn theatrically and retire for the night. Trouble is by two minutes in, I'm hooked and too far awake to rest.

I only got into it a couple of months ago when the first series went to air on British, terrestrial television finally. Once I got a taste, I was lost. Helpfully, the BBC realised what potent and cogent stuff it was and scheduled an episode every night of the working week.

I only found out recently that Dominic West, who plays James "Jimmy" McNulty in the series, is British. What's more, he's an old Etonian, thereby proving once again that while Etonians may not be the best educated posh boys on the planet, they are the most breathtakingly confident. What kind of conkers must a posh, white, English-born actor possess to take on a role such as this. It beggars belief.

That's Eton for you though. It looks like a senior Oxford college, and the boys dress like Jeeves. Of course they're confident. It's also the only school in Earth where a boy wouldn't be told to sod off by his careers teacher for suggesting he might like to have a crack at prime-ministering for a bit when he left school.

In fact, you must hear some crazy, fcuked-up shit as Eton's careers teacher.
"Polar explorer, you say? I think I've got a leaflet here
somewhere about that. Yes, here it is. It says you need to go to Eton, go to
Oxford and go to the North pole in that order. You also need
to look and sound like Prince Andrew or Brian Sewell. Bingo!"

No comments:

Post a Comment