Wednesday 7 October 2015

Never mind the quality - feel the width

The trouble with buying things off the Internet is that you don't get a chance to offset howlers before actually paying for the items.  I took delivery of some bike parts via the information super web yesterday.  Sadly, the wheel I bought doesn't fit the forks I'd earlier purchased to accommodate them.  They're only a few mils to cock, but in the these matters, a miss is as good as a mile.  So, now I have a bmx front wheel blighting the front room, and nowhere to shove it.  Had I bought it from a shop of course, I could simply have wandered down there to part-ex it for a fitting replacement.  But, no - I'll have to post it back.  And I'll be honest with you, it's a cheap wheel and game's already unworthy of the candle.  So I suppose I'll end up buying another one.  Gerrr...ate.

I've tried to stave buying shite on line for just this reason, but shops that actually stock things are like hen's teeth these days.  Even in a city the size and greed of London, no-one is prepared to chance his arm at hawking stuff in the traditional manner.  Shopkeepers, rightly, complain that they simply become try-before-you-buy emporia.  People assure themselves that this is the item they can't live without, and then speed home and buy it from sweat-shop in China for a third of the shop price.  Soon we'll end up with nothing but coffee shops and petrol stations in our high streets.  And the phuque wants to live in a place like that?  Exactly.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment