Wednesday 19 November 2014

Can I speak to your back please? 'Fraid not - He's out.

I somehow put my back out last evening.  This is a depressing and unhelpful development at the best of times, but when you've a long train trip in the diary in a day of two, as I have, it's doubly unwelcome.  It also happened in the most innocuous of circs.

I was on the phone to my sister for 10 minutes or so, and when I walked away from the wretched apparatus, I could distinctly feel a twinge.  This escalated over the coming hours.  And this morning, it was properly sore.  I spend all my waking hours when not shackled to the desk at work, cycling and doing yoga.  How is it then that answering the land-line can upset my lumbar spine?  It's not right.

It's easy to get psychotic - well it is for me at least - when one's back plays up.  It's such a debilitating pain.  Every simple action is turned into a test of will and physical endurance.  The ironic thing is that when I'm being active and physical, it's fine.  It's only when I sit that it starts to ache.  Unfortunately, sitting is what I do for a living, so the days are long and arduous - my two least favourite adjectives.  Well, 'long' has its moments, but you see what I mean.

So the plan tonight is to scoot straight home, carbo-load on wine and then see out the evening in palliative yoga poses.  I wonder what Axl Rose is up to tonight.  No doubt his back will be aching in the morning too.  The rotter.  Anyway, I digress.

No comments:

Post a Comment